1. If you can, come in legally. Illegality causes more problems than you care to have.
2. Expect friends who invite you to stop being welcoming after a week or two. Look for your own place asap.
3. Get a job, any job to start with. You will need to make a living.
4. Bring your legal documents – Birth Certificate, Diplomas, Marriage Certificates, etc.
5. Be flexible. Don’t stick to rigid ideas of what you can or cannot do; what you must have… Do whatever it takes (within reasonable boundaries) to settle down here.
6. Save like mad instead of sending every extra dime back to Nigeria. Save at least 3-6 months of living expenses because you may lose your job without notice.
7. Keep the laws. You might think you’re sailing under the radar, but, when you commit any crime, they will hunt you down.