1. Communicate often. The greater your interaction, the better you know each other.
2. Listen between the lines. If it sounds too good to be true, it is a lie. A man of 24 is pursuing your 55-year old self?
3. If it sounds shady, it is. Americanah says he’s a millionaire but can’t tell you how he makes his money?
4. Go visit as often as you can.
5. Drop in unexpectedly. You want to know what guy-man is up to behind your back.
6. Ask again. You ask if he has children, he said no. Wait a while then ask again.
7. Find character witnesses. Speak to his friends, ministers or important people in his life.
8. Investigate the family. As you know, we marry the family so ensure you want to hang around his…for a long time.
9. Google him. If he’s ever had any kind of online profile, it would come up; including jail records.
10. Take your time. Don’t date for 2 weeks and marry. Time has a way of revealing what’s hidden.
(For more, read Renike comes to America, available at www.abiadegboye.com)