We can read the title, “learn to lead” in two ways – one, learn how to lead and two, learn so you can lead. Learning how to lead is great. It provides you with skills and strategies of leadership – what works, what doesn’t and how you can design your own leadership style. On the other hand learning so you can lead is crucial to successful leadership. You’ve heard it said, “knowledge is power;” in leadership, the more you know and implement strategies for great leadership, the better you are as a leader. Further, the more you learn about the people you lead, the better you’re able to connect with them and to ensure their loyalty. Learning all there is to know about your chosen field of study or business allows you to excel, and indeed to lead. You are ahead of the pack and better positioned to take advantage of opportunities. And today, you have a wider variety of ways to learn:
1. Read newspapers, articles, and books relevant to your industry.
2. Listen to relevant podcasts, audiobooks, and internet radio
3. Watch videos of thought leaders
4. Participate in simulation or apprenticeship programs
5. Pay close attention to communications around you (learn to listen well); and
6. Analyze the information you receive; taking care to keep what’s useful and toss what’s not.